Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Guest Blog By Heather H.


My journey with melanoma started in June of 2005 with the removal of a mole. The words that would change my life!!! I had to have a skin graph on my hand to get it all. 

Then a day after my 21st bday I had my second surgery of my life. More lymph nodes... The one they tested had been positive. I was dx as stage III I did the high dose interferon for a month then the 11 months of shots at home. I did chest X-rays & blood work until February of 2010 showed a shadow on my right lung. Had a biopsy came back melanoma!!! Now I'm stage IV. I had 2/3 of my right lung removed & went back to the wait'n'see stage.... 

October 2010 I was having terrible migraines & had a CT scan that showed I had two tumors in my brain. I had to have brain surgery then gamma knife on the other. I then had a seizure because the gamma knife didn't work on the second tumor. I lost the use of my right arm & leg for a while. After the surgery I was able to use my arm & leg just fine!! 

By then I was told that the melanoma had spread to too many places in my body to count. I was terrified!!!! I was 26 years old!!!! I took a lot of different treatments (Just to keep me going) because I didn't qualify for any trials at that time. At the end of 2011 Yervoy was FDA approved. I was the first person to get it at my cancer center. 

By the Grace of God & the Prayers of so many I'm still here!!!! By my next scans the cancer was in ONE spot, my right thigh. I was stable for about a year when the melanoma started showing signs of growing and had spread again. So I did the Yervoy treatment again at the end of 2012 & I'm happy to say I'm doing great!!! I will be having my scans again next month Nov. 21st and we shall see where I'm at then...
Just wanted to let everyone know there is always hope!!! Don't ever give up!!!!
God Bless y'all 

No comments:

Post a Comment